With the disconnection of Several villages in Esan Central Senatorial District in Edo State by the BEDC, the Senator Representing the district Senator Clifford Ordia has intervened and as a result the following agreement reached to connect them back to the National Grid, some of these villages have been off grid for over five years, find below a statement to this effect.
RE: IDIDIGBA, EWOHIMI, EWATTO ELECTRICITY CHALLENGE; NERC SUMMONS BEDC, COURTESY SENATOR ORDIA.
The meeting summoned by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) in respect of the above at the instance of Senator (Engr.) Clifford A. Ordia (FNSE) took place as planned on Thursday 9th August 2019, by 10am at the commission’s Headquarters in Abuja.
Present at the meeting, were the Managing Director BEDC, GM Consumers Affairs NERC, Rep. Federal Ministry of Power, Reps of Ewatto, Ewohimi communities, Rep. of Senator Clifford Ordia, and management of NERC and BEDC.
After an exhaustive deliberation, the following directives were given by NERC and agreed by all parties:
1. Ididigba community should be switched on after the community pays the one million(N1,000,000) naira agreed upon by both parties.
2. Ewatto community is to be switched on within the next Fourteen (14) days after maintenance of the lines.
3. Ewohimi is to be switched on also within 30days after the maintenance of the lines.
4. BEDC should review the Two Hundred and Six million N206,000,000) naira indebtedness of Ewohimi community after switching on the light.
5. Whatever is agreed as the actual indebtedness of Ewohimi should be paid within 5years.
6. NERC reinstated its opposition to bulk metering.
Senator Clifford Ordia expressed his appreciation to the Chairman of NERC and his team. He looks forward to seeing BEDC implement the agreed resolutions in order to save the various communities from further darkness and hardship.
By Hon. Tony Okonigene